Thread: 60mpg Smart Cdi
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2024, 01:45 PM   #37 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.46 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 16.35 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
90 day: 33.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit86 View Post
I think you should do better, probably needs a good intake cleaning as all diesels suffer from EGR induced soot closing down the intake passages
Potentially, but bit late now I've sold it! There was mpg on the table with the tyres too, but the biggest problem is inherent to the car, it's just wildly aerodynamically inefficient. I suspect someone living in say, the Netherlands where it's mostly flat and speeds away from highways are pretty low would get way better figures, but in the UK you're always fighting hills and air resistance.

The Insight is just much better in most like-for-like scenarios. It's hugely more aerodynamic and has more power in reserve when conditions are suboptimal, such as punching against headwinds or climbing hills.

(Edit: In case you missed it, those figures were US mpg, so it was averaging 72mpg in imperial gallons - looking at Fuelly, where there are a lot more of these things than on EM, my 60mpg US/72 UK is higher than the majority of similar cars on there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Semi-automatic, like Fiat's Citymatic? I used to believe it had an automated gearbox instead.
It's an automated manual, yeah - semi-auto was just my shorthand for that.