View Single Post
Old 06-23-2024, 08:02 AM   #39 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Update:

This month (June 2024) NHTSA was supposed to issue a new regulation covering rolling resistance in tires and how that would be displayed - according to a report of pending regulations published by DOT in Sep 2023. That has not happened. If you read back in this thread, you will see that they (NHTSA) has repeatedly postponed the issuing of the regulation starting in 2010.

I expect them to kick the can down the road again. I think the only reason they published a date was because Cailfornia was threating to issue their own regulation. It is now clear that California isn't going to do that.

Speaking of California, the last action taken was to accept an agreement of confidentiality from the USTMA (US Tire Manufacturers Association) for a data file in Sep, 2023. That file contained an analysis of all the data presented to the California Energy Commission (CEC). Part of that analysis was sure to contain the fact that over 90% of tires currently for sale would be banned if the regulation went forward without revision - and that, of course, is not workable. Unfortunately, the law that the CEC was working against did not allow for any alternatives. Since I have not seen anything since then I suspect the issue is dead. I suspect the California legislature would need to issue another law to fix the problem - and I don't think they will.

Meanwhile the state of Washington's legislature was working on a law very similar to the California law. They obviously ran into the same problem California did, but in this case the law never made it out of committee, so it's dead as well.

I'll provide any updates if there are any.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following User Says Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
freebeard (06-23-2024)