View Single Post
Old 06-30-2024, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
H-Man
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

My design for a retractable boat tail was sized for a van, but the idea was that a rigid plate forms an extension of the diffuser as it swings down into position.

A truncated boat tail could have a four-bar linkage.

There's a thread on reflective roofs. Ultra-white > aluminum.
I'm thinking about doing an ultra white roof. Only qualm about it is that it might make my car look too much like a cop car. On one hand: Due to my ethical alignment I'm loathe to have that happen since it exploits the fear of the police and I'm friends with a lot of people that fear police [All I'm saying is stonewall to avoid getting politik warning], OTOH, people act stupid on the road so there is value to a deterrence. I'm probs going to run it by some people with a less messed up moral compass than mine.

As for the cargo box, I run a full size spare so the spare takes up most of my cargo area behind the back row. I want that space back but I don't want to give up my full size spare. Plus, sometimes I have to use the back row and that means I can't just keep the seats folded down and use it like a pickup all the time. Thus: Since my car has adaptive cruise it's the go to for road trips. Rigid box so that on road trips, we can stow the luggage I don't need to grab on the trip and save the space behind the seat for stuff like snacks and drinks. ESP if I go full send and emulate the aerocivic since that'd give me about 6 hours of fuel at 85 MPH or nearly 8 hours at 75. Hell, if I drop down to 65 I'm looking at near 11 hours of fuel WITH the AC running... giving 706 miles vs 580 at 85.

(I'm doing all design cases with AC running because heat sensitive.)

I'm aware that it'll cost me about a third of my range to run the AC.

Last edited by H-Man; 06-30-2024 at 06:52 PM..