View Single Post
Old 07-02-2024, 10:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,719 Posts
I locked myself out of the truck and was stung by a scorpion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I hope you aren't talking about using student loans to pay medical bills because that is a really bad idea.

1. Student loans in general cannot be discharged even in bankruptcy - they follow you for life. Medical debt can be discharged in bankruptcy

2. Your student loans are at what - 8% interest? Medical debt you can negotiate a discount and then set up a payment plan. Generally that payment plan has little or no interest as long as you are making payments.
Please tell me how much her surgery cost me and how much money I have left from student loans!

Thanks!

We finally finished moving yesterday, which was great because we were contractually obligated to leave by 1700 Sunday.

The slide bolt that goes from our bedroom door into the frame came out when we first moved in and I held onto it, but couldn't find it, so I found another one, which was a different color, and had square edges, not rounded ones.

I bought a chisel set and chiseled the corners to make the new one fit when I found the original in the laundry room!

I replaced the original and put some filler in the corners.

There were patches in many doors and I accidentally bumped a patch in Mom's door with a cardboard box and busted it, so I thought I should spray some Great Stuff in there to make it "Solid."

For anyone wondering how much spray insulation to put in a hollow-core door, perhaps trying to create sound insulation, the correct answer isn't "Until it starts to leak out."

Yes, you can scrape off the excess when it dries or wipe it immediately, but:

The back bulged, too.

I bought a replacement door and tried to find the kit to attach hinges, but couldn't find them, the app wasn't working, and I couldn't find an employee before I got distracted, checked out, and drove back.

I tried calling a carpenter at Church, but I couldn't track him down.
I called a friend who identifies as the "Most masculine person [I] know," but she didn't answer.

I looked it up and saw that I needed a kit and a router.
For some reason, I thought that I needed a plunge router, which is $60 more--and it doesn't plunge deep enough.

The kit is pretty thick.

I traced it, but it was a different shape than the hinge, so I removed half of one, traced that, and tried to follow it my first time using a router.

My cutouts were more like half-moons than rounded rectangles, I needed to go back for the corners, and just made it worse, but at least the hinge seemed to work.

I think the trick is to tape the hinge before you remove it from the door so you know where it lines up with the new door.

I don't know what I did wrong, but the door didn't close, and it was already after midnight.

Right.

It was unpainted.

I grabbed a $6 can of spray paint hoping that it would look decent.

Not only did it not look decent, but it ran out before I finished the first side.

Maybe it would have looked adequate with 2-3 coats, but it would have needed 2-3 per coat, so 4-9 costing $24-54!

Whatever, there was paint in the garage, so I told my wife that I was taking it to get mixed... and returned with slurpees.

I started to leave again, she asked if they were still open, and no, no hardware store in the area is open past 8 on Sunday, but Walmart was!

Except the only people authorized to push the buttons left at 5, so I bought a paint mixer... and the paint was dried out, so I ran back for a can of door and trim paint... which was black, so I exchanged it and had the cashier verify that it was white.

I had bought a 2" brush and then used it when the spray paint was a little thick. I didn't want to make a second trip just because the paint dried and made the brush unusable, so I bought a 3" brush, but the original worked, so I spent 50% longer than reasonable painting it.

I really should have bought a roller and roller accessories, forget that noise!

By the way, how much does a replacement hollow-core door cost anyway? It is just a bit of wood, pressboard, and cardboard.

$78!

Plus $30 for the kit, $160 for the router, $6 for the spray paint, $5 for the mixer, and $20 for the paint.

All for a door that didn't close!

The new door was 1" longer than the old one, so maybe it needed the hinge side shaved and re-slotted.

I don't know, but it was officially the day after we were contractually obligated to leave, so I reinstalled the original door, and loaded up the van.

Somehow after filling at 26' truck, a 15' truck twice, and Camries a couple of times, we still needed to fill a cargo van.

My wife hopped out to ground-guide me with the 26-foot truck, suggested that I checked how much room I had, and in one motion I jumped out, locked the truck, closed the door, and marveled at my stupidity.

Good news!

I have a locksmith on speed dial!

Ninety-five dollars later we were on our way.

People from Church loaded that truck, but my wife had reached out to the new congregation, but nobody responded, my sister and her family only help when we pay them (and still complain), and I don't have any friends, so I paid movers $750 to unload.

I figured that since people from Church loaded the first truck, it would be unreasonable to ask for seconds, but I tried to hire movers to unload the second.

The first guys didn't respond.
I reached out to others, but didn't hear back before Mom, who had stayed inside all day, demanded that I stopped being lazy [recovering from unloading a truck when it was over 110°].

Then I laid down for hours.

At one point, I napped on the carpet, but I think that was a separate occasion.

We thought that we had most of the stuff out of the house for the third load, we thought we just had Mom's plants and cleaning supplies, but I had the stack of 2x6es from Show Low, which I need to post on Facebook.

I moved the first one and a scorpion stung me.

I don't recommend that.

We had some ice packs in the freezer and I held onto one for several hours.

In the morning, I was able to function, but that was several hours later.

Meanwhile, I secured the garage and truck with one hand and a great deal of pain and drove back.

Before we returned to get everything, I stopped at Winco for leather gloves.

I don't know what happened that day, but we didn't leave until it was late.

I had loaded my huge refrigerator by myself and my wife moved all of Mom's refrigerated and frozen food into ice chests, but then it sat in the truck all day.

I tried to find someone to finish loading the truck, drive it, and unload, but the best that I found were two guys who were much bigger and stronger than me.

They transported Mom's huge fridge with a full freezer and her dresser for $170.

I moved two dressers by myself.

The thing is that you are supposed to unplug a refrigerator for 24 hours before moving and keep it unplugged for 24 hours afterwards.

Hopefully hers is fine because they loaded it into a trailer, which was definitely easier than loading it into a moving truck, and part of the reason I had them move it was because I would have needed to remove everything from the truck except my fridge [with one hand] in order to put another refrigerator in there.

How was my good hand supposed to solo that?!

They wouldn't have needed to tip the fridge nearly as much as I did to get it up the ramp and then maneuver it around the door, so hopefully it didn't need to settle as long.

I just didn't feel up to plugging in Mom's fridge or emptying the ice chests, so that food was ruined, too.

The guys from Church packed the tools I planned on using to fix the garage door (and pieces that attach Mom's refrigerator handles), so I paid a professional $367.

I hired ZeroRez to clean the carpets, although they couldn't get out a couple of wear stains from the year we lived there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UKJDh7r.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	34817