View Single Post
Old 07-05-2024, 11:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,326 Times in 4,733 Posts
' rear overhang'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Class 8's do have overall length restrictions but a Brightdrop is not even close to a Class 8. The 600 is available with a 9990 (Class 2) or 11000 GVW. (Class 3). It is also only 290 inches long. (24.2 ft)

For reference this is a Holiday Rambler Vacationer Series RV. 36 feet long with an absolutely MASSIVE rear overhang. (It is built on a Class 4 Ford step-van chassis)

The DOT length restrictions have nothing to do with 'rear overhang', only 'how much' added length is allowed for an 'existing' structure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If one added a 'Trailer Tail', or 'other' 48-inch boat-tail to the rear of some RV, I don't believe that there'd be any 'push back' from the constabulary.
If the tail were an 'inflated' length of 60", I don't believe there'd be any objection.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If an RV owner wanted to pull a 'trailer', in the form of a 100%-length boat-tail, no government body would legally have a thing to say about it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My brother had a 36', Ford chassis-based RV motorhome that he could have boat-tailed. It's 6.5-mpg @ 55-mph ( with the V-10 ) hastened it's 'sale.' It was a losing proposition from day-one.
Orbywan's Ford-based RV motorhome achieved 14.5-mpg, with his full aero kit.