View Single Post
Old 07-08-2024, 04:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,127 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnForde View Post
Thanks JSH!
I do plan on keeping the boundary flow smooth…..
As Aerohead noted - your current design will have boundary separation. It will happen at the red line. Every one of your angles needs to be less than 22 degrees and more realistically more like 15 - 17 degrees to realistically have the flow stay attached in the real world.

The simplest solution is to just continue the 16.7 degree angle from the stock trim with your extension and then cut it off when you reach your desired extension length. It doesn't do any good to continue your extension to a full cone if the flow separates at the back of the van.

I would also plan to add an extra set of lights at the rear of your extension just to make everyone happy – you don’t want any question about whether or not your taillights are visible. I would just use a set of trailer lights on a simple extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnForde View Post
Thanks JSH! I have been looking for this 60" rule and it's formal citation for about 2 years. Thanks again!
You're welcome. Just remember that is specific to commercial vehicles – It doesn’t apply to RVs or personal vehicles.