View Single Post
Old 07-15-2024, 11:07 AM   #61 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnForde View Post
I actually think GM designed the cuff primarily for aerodynamics. But I am wondering if it is designed to allow flow separation but have some other benefit.

3" of rise over a 10" run is about 17 degrees.

Weather should be good here starting Tuesday so I may have a working, adjustable prototype late in the week and do some testing: both tuft and efficiency.
GM designed the rear trim for the aerodynamic requirements of the van in stock conditions - not to keep the boundary flow attached to a streamlined tail. Yes, there are other considerations besides straight aerodynamics.

It has been about 5 years since I was responsible for installing aerodynamic aids and talked routinely with our design engineers that do aerodynamics but spray control is another consideration. Keeping things like mirrors, cameras, and windows from accumulating grim and dirt.

You have a good plan - build out a prototype and test it. What looks good on paper doesn't always work , nor does what works in computer simulations or even wind tunnel testing. The road tells the true tale.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
JohnForde (07-17-2024)