View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
AD5OS
EcoModding Lurker

AD5OS's - '90 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 42.41 mpg (US)

AD5OS's Explorer - '96 Ford Explorer XLT
I own a beat up 90 Accord LX 2.2L SOHC neglected engine with 232k miles on it. I started using E85 up in mid NY state this summer where E85 was nearly 30-40% cheaper than gas.

I've been using E85 for a while and two weekends ago I was working on the engine and after starting up the engine I had 2 injectors spitting out large streams of gas out of the cushion rings. Freaked me out big time... I was expecting some ill effects from the E85 but this was very sudden and abrupt. After taking off the fuel rail I found all of the O-rings to be VERY shrunken. Now this could of been a design issue or a pre-existing issue. The car was purchased in Ohio where the car was seriously neglected and I have been in the process of nursing it back to health.

I didnt change a thing on it btw... other than all new rings around the injectors. I figure if I screw up any fuel parts I have several junk yards to get replacement parts. I will try to advance the timing a few degrees... but I am going to use E10 to figure out the max timing I can use with regular gas with out knocking.

I would like to know what types of "rubber" are resistant to ethanol.

I also have found that anything over a 50/50% of gas and ethanol is perfect blend for MPG and price.