View Single Post
Old 07-18-2024, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
RBurke83

The Beater - '09 Honda Civic LX

The Commuter - '23 Hyundai Ioniq 6 SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Since I'm a penny pincher, I'd probably only charge at work.

To maximize battery longevity, it's recommended to not charge to 100%, or discharge too deeply.
Unfortunately there are only two chargers at my job, (max 7.7kw/hr) and as I generally work three 12 hour shifts in a row, if I don’t have the opportunity to charge at work-the battery drain will accumulate until I’d be discharging below 40%. I don’t charge to 100% in extreme temps. I’ve kind of decided that charging to 100% on a low output charger is the better option from a deep discharge but I understand your pov.

I’m not sure I totally agree with the comment regarding SOC accuracy, at least on a contemporary EV. I do the same trip dozens of times per month, at the same times of day, etc and the SOC is virtually identical every trip. I’ve noticed the I6 is very consistent in estimating battery % but less so on the mile/kWh figure. That figure may range between 2.5 to 2.8 trip to trip but the total battery percentage is virtually identical. I’m going to begin toying with its aerodynamics a little bit but I think it’s very close to its least draggy right out of the box.
The Following User Says Thank You to RBurke83 For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (07-19-2024)