View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestDrive View Post
Emissions is one part of Texas' Annual Vehicle Inspection, safety is another. Your car failed for safety reasons, not emissions. Your vehicle passed the emissions portion of the test the first time. It's not at all surprising it passed with the same numbers the second time around. (They redo the whole test the second time around because they're required to by law. 'Cause you might have done something stupid at the same time you repaired exhaust leak- like remove the guts of the catalytic converter.)

I guess I'm not understanding how this all works. A sniffer gets placed at the end of the tailpipe and measures the amount of pollution right ?
If there is a pretty good size hole somewhere in the exhaust system, the reading will be off because a lot of the pollution is spewed out the hole - is that right ?

Since the test is supposed to be done over*, why are the results absolutely identical ? I wanted to stress that even the RPM was identical in the second test - is this just a generic number or were they really testing both times at exactly 2,591 RPM ?

*[/QUOTE=(They redo the whole test the second time around because they're required to by law. 'Cause you might have done something stupid at the same time you repaired exhaust leak- like remove the guts of the catalytic converter.)[/QUOTE]