View Single Post
Old 08-26-2024, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ankleface
EcoModding Lurker

Hi there, thanks a lot for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
First culprit: Have you considered a block heater?
Hmm, no because it's a very mild climate, bordering on hot. When I say that the engine is "cold" I just mean relative to its normal operating temperature. But even so the engine definitely is less responsive for the first few minutes of driving, basically it feels like it's running a "choked" air/fuel mixture. So it's a double hit to have to accelerate up the initial steep hill while it's dumping more fuel in at the same time. I'm not sure if I can minimize that initial hit by maybe wasting a bit of fuel at zero load in idle for a few minutes and then accelerating all the way up the hill in 1st gear at lower load than if I were to shift into 2nd.

Quote:
Are the traffic lights on demand so it depends on cross-traffic?
Nope, no sensors, and just random timing that makes it so if you hit one red light you hit them all.

Quote:
If you roll up on a red light slowly, often times you can avoid a complete stop.
Yep, I religiously look ahead and roll up to red lights in gear, so zero fuel consumption according to the instantaneous display. Probably my average economy would be considerably worse still if it weren't for that tactic.

Thanks for the helpful and friendly response, I appreciate it.

Last edited by Ankleface; 08-26-2024 at 03:37 PM..