View Single Post
Old 08-31-2024, 01:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ankleface
EcoModding Lurker

Hi there Piwoslaw, thanks for the very useful tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw
Wondering whether your route has lots of opportunity for coasting? If yes, then you might benefit from engine-off-coasting with an engine kill switch.
Interesting option. Yes, there are opportunities for coasting. The only problem is that it's technically illegal here to drive with the engine off. But I'm pretty happy with the trick that I fairly recently learned of coasting to a stop in gear instead of in neutral so that it doesn't have to inject fuel to keep the engine running. I'm sure I could technically coast a bit farther in neutral with the engine off, but traffic is almost always more of a limiting factor than the distance that my car can coast.

Quote:
Start engine-braking in a high gear as long as possible
Check! Great strategy.

Quote:
Turn off the A/C when coasting or idling, but use it when engine-braking (free energy!)
This is my favorite, I'm literally afraid I'll wear out the A/C button pretty soon at this rate.

Quote:
If these are short trips, then maybe you can risk an alternator delete? Depending on the type of alternator your car has, it might be as difficult taking off the accessory belt, or as easy as putting an ON-OFF switch on the alternator's field wire. In the latter case you could turn it on (charge the battery) only when engine-braking, or when the battery's charge drops too low.
Wow, never heard of this trick.