Thread: Trick hub motor
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2024, 07:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Logic
Master EcoModder

The Hub motors in this application are Permanent Magnet (PM) motors using powerful Neodymium magnets
That means that when you try to coast a hub motored E-bike the hysteresis and eddy currents in the motor laminates cause drag and it's feels like trying to coast a normal car with the handbrake up.
That's even before regen is activated.

Important:
NOTHING is as efficient as coasting. Ask any hyper-miler. Regen does not even come close.
ie: No coasting = no efficiency.

What this idea does is allow this very efficient coasting
AND
The very normal use of the brake pedal/handle that you/I/everyione is used to.
ie: Intuitive/no-brainer braking as usual.
But
Activating the brake pedal/handle first activates regen and then activates normal friction braking in a completely seamless process that's completely transparent to the driver/rider.
ie:
Your grandma, used to her dear old automatic, would happily drive around in her car, newly fitted with this system, completely oblivious to the complex mix of regen and old slyle friction braking going on 'under the hood', with NO COMPUTER in sight...
That = 100% public acceptance with 100% dependability..!

The system is brilliant!
As in when you get it; 'the light-bulb comes on' with such brilliance you are left reeling with a gobsmacked 'Why dint I think of that!?' smile on your face.

There are those who just wont ever 'get it' no matter how many times they watch those planetary gears spinning or not. (the video)
My sincere condolences to them.
I know that there are different types of intelligence.
(I for instance have no idea what tact is and will inadvertently (or not) piss most people off in short order)
But the whole 'light bulb moment' caused by 'getting' inventions like this is priceless and it's a real shame (to me) to see people miss them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Logic For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-03-2024)