View Single Post
Old 09-09-2024, 10:19 AM   #486 (permalink)
pgfpro
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 59.09 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic View Post
Sorry to necro a post from 2105: I've been reading the whole thread with great interest and that's as far as I've gotten so far.

(IIRC Toluene and Acetone is what The Indian fellows over at Team-BHP recon one needs to add to std gas to increase its evaporation, and/or... something..?
I just thought it an interesting coincidence and maybe worth researching)

Anyway; waste solvent:

If you have enough; consider running your whole house on a genset most or part time:
Why:
Because when you can/do use the heat that usually goes to waste in an engine; its efficiency goes WAY up!

So with a decent water-cooled turbo'd genset you could plumb into the cooling system for hot water and use it for heating.
+
Put a heat exchanger/s (EGR/s would work) in the exhaust and get more hot water and a ton of hot air to blow into your workshop!

Then there's all the things you've already done to car engines that's a whole lot easier to do, reach and package on a stationary engine and you may well end up producing electricity (heat) at less than it normally costs, engine included!?

Perhaps even sell it back to the grid!? (Peak hours? That disposal service license you spoke of??)

It's kinda funny to think: "All that heat I struggle to get rid of in the car, I struggle to make in the house!" Bring it home!

Perhaps charge up a battery bank for when you don't need the heat.
Or... do a DIY plugin hybrid or even a full EV runabout, or... well the possibilities are endless IF the maths works out!?

Oh and you wouldn't be bored hot-rodding motors etc either IMHO.
The guys over at Endless-Sphere are pushing 40kw for 10 seconds with E-bike Hub motors! And more torque than a tractor from 0 rpm!
You only need 8 or 9 seconds!
It's all water cooling motors and StatorAde etc type fun!
Lots of good info in your comments, much appreciated.

I'm going to take your advice and start building an engine run stand. I have enough spare engines and parts to easily make this work. This will help, like you pointed out with some RnD.

The Following User Says Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
Logic (09-10-2024)