View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #59 (permalink)
Christopher Jordan
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
At the back I don’t use one tire but rather two skinny tires set at about a 2 degree camber. The rear wheels have a much narrower track than the front, allowing a very nice aero shape. With this setup, you get all the aerodynamic excellence of the three wheeler without driving a ground loop waiting to happen.
LOL! A.K.A.: BMW 4 wheel Isetta with 2 wide in front and 2 close in back! Europe has several very much like the 3-wheel Morgan- about 5 companies, I think. This 3-wheel usage went back to the 1800s adult tricycles; but never got anywhere; until recently- (1980s-90s-now)- with underpowered human powered recumbents and velomobiles mainly. Even now a VW or Peugot or something shows up very shortly; then disappears.

Then something like Canadas T-Rex pops up, shocks everyone with spectacular burn outs, high top speeds, then goes only to the high end market. Usually seems to get a "can't be done - spins around - flips over." description. Brazil races similar but longer ones. I don't know for sure where I saw them- reverse trikes websight, probably.

Those mid '60 Harley/Corvair/VW choppers had weight problems, and soured the US attitude for years. They are 2 back wheel configurations,but put a 'thumbs down' on all trikes.

I would gladly make my Ford/Kia a 1 back wheel trike- weights in the front, but the back is tippy as all get-out as it is now; with the stock height-weight-tires-solid axle. Tear-drop with a whale-tail fin......

And that would bring the thread back to eta: a side by side 2 person trike! But the Twike (made in Germany) side-by-side 3-wheel EVtrike is already sold in the US!

countersTrike