View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
trebuchet03 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Have you tried any other OBDII devices other than the SG?

So I take back what I said before.... It's not an electrical problem, it seems to be a programming problem with your Silverado's computer....

I found this thread, which may or may not be of use:

ScanGauge Troubleshooting - CleanMPG Forums
That's a sticky whicket. Technically, the Silverado computer came first, so it's up to Scangauge to "work with it". But, it *could* be the Silverado's fault if it is grossly non-compliant with the OBD II spec. They must be doing some kind of "trick" to control the radio.

regor -

Is there something special about the behavior of the Silverado's radio? Does it do anything other than be a radio? What I mean is, does the Silverado use the radio display to "report" any special car information? If yes, then it is likely that there is custom programming between the radio and the car computer. A generic radio would likely work in it's stead.

As trebuchet03 said, it would be interesting to see if another OBD II compliant gizmo caused the same problem.

I wish I had the URL, but I remember reading that it is *possible* for the scangauge to program some settings of the car ECU/PCM, but it depends on the capabilities of the car computer.

If I were a car ECU/PCM, I would likely be annoyed by the scangauge because it would be like an impatient child in the back seat ...

What's your MPH? ... What's your TPS? ... What's your RPM? ... What's your IAT? ... Are you going to eat that? ... I know your MPG! ... What's your MAP? ... What's yout WT? ... Are we there yet? ... What's your MPH? ... What's your TPS? ... What's your RPM? ... What's your IAT? ... Are you going to eat that? ... I know your MPG! ... What's your MAP? ... What's yout WT? ... Are we there yet? ... What's your MPH? ... What's your TPS? ... What's your RPM? ... What's your IAT? ... Are you going to eat that? ... I know your MPG! ... What's your MAP? ... What's yout WT? ... Are we there yet? ... What's your MPH? ... What's your TPS? ... What's your RPM? ... What's your IAT? ... Are you going to eat that? ... I know your MPG! ... What's your MAP? ... What's yout WT? ... Are we there yet? ...

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society