View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ernie
EcoModding Lurker

The silver one - '01 Saturn SL1
90 day: 53 mpg (US)
Greetings from Idaho

Hello everyone,

I am a member of gassavers. I go by usedgeo over there but I am just going to use my own name for now. Call it a lack of imagination. I recognize a lot of names here already. I have an '01 SL Saturn that has averaged around 55 mpg for life and gets close to 60 mpg tanks in the summer sometimes. I will try to get it in the garage soon. My wife is driving an '02 SC2 now. She averages about 32 mpg but has only a 3 mile commute most days. It is amazing how much difference there is in those two engines. In my opinion the single cam engine is much more useful in any normal driving situation.

We had an interesting get together at the Discovery Center of Idaho last weekend. The center hosted an energy festival and focused on electric car conversions. I was invited even though my Saturn is not electric. We watched the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car." The director Chris Paine was there and gave a few comments afterward. It was quite interesting.

He mentioned the new documentary he is working on "Revenge of the Electric Car." It will be very different. It sounds like it will be more about grassroots efforts. He took some footage of us and our cars. Not sure what will come of that but it was a lot of fun.

The idea of making my Saturn into a plug in hybrid keeps coming around. A co-worker is beginning same on his Toyota pickup and may drag me along. It would be an easier decision if the Firefly battery was a reality today.

Enough or perhaps too much intro for now.

Ernie