View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean T. View Post
In theory, wouldn't it be the most efficient to load a few items at a time, so the fridge doesn't need to work too hard? And then try to fit all of the food in the fridge so it holds the cold temperature easier and again, the fridge doesn't need to work too hard?
Nope, load it all at the same time....

1. That food needs X amount of energy to cool down. Slowly adding does not change the number "X" - when you use that energy doesn't matter, you're still going to use it.
2. Your refrigerator is basically a small air conditioner - the refrigerant system operates at/near peak efficiency while in "steady state" conditions. That is, the least efficient operating time is during start up while the compressor attempts to pressurize the high side. During this time you have the lowest Coefficient of Performance (heat moved/work in) - so you're doing a lot of work, and not cooling very much. Once the high side pressure has stabilized, you've reached steady state.

On the subject of refrigerators.... I'd love it if modular systems were mass produced for home use. I'd want a permanent liquid coolant chiller with an exterior condenser - then, just hook up some hoses to your refrigerator and you're good to go I hate that I have to move heat from my refrigerator to my kitchen, then from my kitchen to outside (VIA central a/c). Then, replacing the appliance should be cheaper (aside from initial investment).
roosterk0031 (07-31-2012)