View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Metro61
EcoModding Lurker

@SVOboy:
Thanks for the 50cc offer, but I'm enjoying the challenge of thinking this through. I have looked around, and I think the Baja series of small ATV engines, which are four-cycle engines, would be a great improvement and look like a near-direct mounting fit. So if I give up on the GDi idea, I'll probably go with that.

@some_other_dave:
It's interesting. Theoretically this should be a load simpler. I've only got one cylinder, right? :-)

The problem is that GDi is relatively new in the auto market. In scooters I believe Aprilla's been at it awhile, as have some snow machines. If I could find either a snowmobile wrecker or an Aprilla scooter in my local yard, I might try scavenging some bits.

I'm also concerned about what would happen were I to transfer an injector from a much-bigger-volume cylinder, as I don't have any idea how to figure out the required fuel pressure. The only reference I've encountered said that one's injectors should run roughly 2 bar over cylinder pressure. In my scoot, which compression-tests at 100lbs, that's roughly 130lbs, which seems high.

The injector also has to survive the heat and pressure in the head, and not get clogged up with oil.
Over time and across distance, the signal attenuates until meaning is utterly lost. In certain environments, the distance and time are drastically reduced. For example, in a boardroom, complete incomprehensibility is reached in roughly the length of the conference table.