View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #66 (permalink)
Haywood_U
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
I made it to 34mpg on one occurrence..

Very nice. I'll never see anywhere close to that......not with my 3/4 ton diesel!

I still liked the cover idea - I hadn't thought about using "L" brackets to hang the frame on the bed.

Back in the early 90s, my buddy had a small Toyota pickup with a custom bed cover. It was basically a bed frame covered in vinyl - built mainly with 2x4, 4x4 posts, and 1/2 or 3/4" plywood top. It took 2-4 people to actually put in and out of the bed, but he never really used the truck for hauling.

I'm looking to build something similar to your original idea - don't really have the $$ for the folding cover that I want (molded ABS) and making it weather-tight isn't a major concern - just looking to keep the leaves and other debris out during the fall/winter.

I think I'll probably steal most of your design and probably use 1/4-3/8" plywood as the top decking, and maybe try to cover it with some vinyl. I don't have the patience (or talent) to start messing with fiberglass!

Glad I found this site, might find some tips for improving economy on my cars - I'm pretty sure the diesel truck is a lost cause!