View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #76 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,732 Posts
something bugging

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
So, two layers of glass (one more to go for a bit more strength), rough trimmed to the final shape and two screws into the frame.

Yes. I'm. Slow.

Even with just two layers, it holds its shape quite nicely, but I'm thinking about integrity at higher speeds. Don't want it fluttering.

Aesthetically, something is bugging me (I can hear the laughter from non-EM members reading this thread who don't care about aero... ): The shape of the front skirt doesn't match the rear.

Ultimately I plan to re-shape the front bumper, which will let me extend it further out to shield the front tire, so I'll be able to trim the skirt to follow the existing wheel arch curve.

At the rear, what I was thinking is that I'd make a "faired" part to attach to the quarter panel, replacing the aft end of the skirt with a fixed piece, so ultimately I'd have something like this:

Darin,not to create work for you,but if you were to add strakes,for and aft of the the front tires,they would create a visual line which flows with the rocker panels and into the front fascia.Also,an external brace on the outside of the skirt,on the lower line of the span would both stiffen,and add visual interest to the skirt.----------------- The rear passenger side skirt on the T-100 is full-depth and since it is sheetmetal,I was able to pop-rivet aluminum angle to the bottom and it really takes the flutter out and also blends with the "ground-effects".It's cheeseier looking than composites but will help on mpg 'til I can spare time for FRP.---------------You might tape rubber foam weatherstrip piping along the bottom of the skirt and just layup over it.Just a thought.-------------------------- Finally,whatever you do,when they're painted to match,I think you'll develop a real fondness for them.I think they look great just as they are!