View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Big Dave
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Thought you were talking about my Valkyrie. That critter is so draggy that when you roll off the throttle you think you've driven into a bridge abutment.

My big honkin' truck will take a half mile to coast down. I can't coast that bike 200 yards.

Back on topic.

Did I miss something? I think Don indicated he lives in Michigan. Useless he's a yooper, he drives on roads flat as a pool table for the most part. Cruise control is A-OK in flat country.

Don, like most folks in country dominated by tough winters need two different set ups. A set of stock wheels with the snow tires of choice. My own snow strategy has always been "pizza-cutters." Tall skinny tires with aggressive tread that reach down to find something sorta solid. And another set for July and August.

Despite what Ohio State fans tell you, there are periods of dry weather in Michigan. Those dry periods off Don some relief from high fuel consumption. I'll speak to the Chevy pickup, because I know Chevvies better than Jeeps.

That truck probably has GM 12 bolt axles with a 3.73:1 gear ratio. This is a common and flexible setup that lets his 350 rev up and make a lot of power and burn a lot of gas. IIRC, you can get at least 3.08s and maybe 2.73s for the front and rear twelve bolts. If he has a ten bolt he could even go on down to a 2.56 ratio. A lower fear ratio will reduce his fuel burn at any road speed by reducing the engine frictional HP and forcing the engine to operate at a more open throttle setting. The more the throttle opens, the more efficent his engine becomes. R&P sets can be bought and jeep shops do this gear change thing all the time. a numerically lower ratio will help in winter as it will slow down the small-block's tendency to rev up and bury the truck from wheel spin due to the small-blocks huge torque rise.

An aero treatment - fastback or tonneau and air dam - is worthwhile if Don drives a lot over 40 MPH. If he spends most of his nice weather bouncing down country roads at 30 MPH, then weight reduction is the way to go.

Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam