View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
grille-block in the round

Since the cooling system is also 12% of the aero drag I considered what the big-dogs had settled on and ended up copying aerospace,falcon nostrils,and whale blow-holes.-----------------

The NACA Cowl,used on all jet engines,and found throughout nature,provides a low drag way to get fluids into(and sometimes out of ) structures.There are zero vena-contrata entry losses and the form offers the absolute minimum drag for an inlet,and its round,a very simple shape with added benefits.--------------------

If coupled with a concentric,movable, interior piston/valve,it can be used to modulate flow volume,using one moving part.If the piston /valve itself is aerodynamically idealized,then you get a fully variable flow volume inlet with absolute minimum drag and simple construction.-----------------------

For the nose of the T-100,I incorporated the NACA Cowl ( stainless steel trashcan lid ) and an oblate- ellipsoid piston( like a football )recycled from a commercial aluminum floodlight fixture.--------------------

For the time being,the piston is "locked"in position,however in the future,will be swung from a pendulum to allow flow modulation,either manually operated or with a "fail-proof" sensor/logic/servomechanism.------------------------

Simple logic boards are available locally,which can be programmed to perform various tasks,when coupled to simple sensor technology.D-to-A ports allow relays,and servos,and solenoids and such to fire,based on embedded instructions.It's gotta be foolproof(Phil-proof!),but seems like it would be a no-brainer for some of the electronic techies out there ( like my oldest brother).-----------------------

However its accomplished,the active grille-block is something worth pursuing.And the more trouble-free the better!