View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
canhonkey
Penny Saver

Bumblebee - '91 Pontiac Firefly Convertible LE
90 day: 45.82 mpg (US)

RRSP - '90 Yami FZR
Last 3: 47.35 mpg (US)

ECODeisel - '01 VW Jetta TDI
90 day: 52.46 mpg (US)
XFI'd Pontiac Firefly LE ..Convertible!

Hi All,
I'm new to the board. For the longest time I was sacrificing fuel economy for power..but no more! Behold the '91 Firefly convertible LE(same as Metro) I picked up for the wife's commute for a mere 600 dollars! 170k kms & never winter driven.

This will be her "limited edition" Firefly XFI , I want to do the XFI cam swap that MetroMPG did, advance the timing by doing the sprocket mod, and switch to a different transmission with lower final drive. Not going to mess with the computers or remove any piston rings. I'm thinking a transmission off of a per 95 Metro/swift/firefly with 1.3L SOHC motor would do this trick with its 3.52 final drive? I think these convertible's have a much higher final drive..so its gotta go! Any idea where I could source a transmission or XFI Cam? So far..I've checked out car-part.com and sent a few emails to DeltaCam and 3 Tech who both have cams in stock. Ideally I'd like an OEM cam..

So far, I've got a fresh timing belt, wires, dist cap, rotor button, accessory belt to put on it once I get that XFI Cam. I've also just put a new set of nordic winter 13" tires, they're 185 tall so the speedo reads 100kph when she's actually going 110! I know they aren't low rolling resistance, but she drives a pretty sketchy part of the 401 hwy everyday, averaging 200kms/day out of a 5 day week back and for to university. On top of that, she has shifts at the hospital most times on weekends so she's putting 1000-1200kms on the car/week...so..economy is a priority right now....

So I figure, with the taller tires, Cam swap, advanced timing and much lower final drive tranny..she should be getting some much improved Mpg!? Looking forward to your suggestions

Ken

Last edited by canhonkey; 11-02-2008 at 10:40 AM..