View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #30 (permalink)
SuperTrooper
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Your point? The Aptera's supposed to be selling at around $30K instead of $100K, too.

I'll take issue with that "demoted". I don't pretend to know anything about Aptera's internal management decisions, but I've worked for a few startups. They're generally founded by engineers or scientists, people who know the technology, in other words. In the beginning, they often find themselves wearing management hats too, and usually don't do this very well. (Which is not surprising, IMHO: would anyone expect a manager to do the engineering?) Once the company grows to a certain point, it makes sense to hire real management types to do the management, and let the engineers go back to engineering.

It's a sad commentary on this society's values that going back to engineering should be considered some sort of demotion. Management is where engineers go when they can't hack the engineering any longer.
I wasn't trying to make any kind of point. I just pointed out your error.

As far Fambro being "demoted", I was simply using the language used in the artticles reporting on the situation. You can call it anything you want.