View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
The mpguino works on just about any fuel injected car (obd II included) since it just needs a fuel injector and speed sensor tap. It works on most any SG car and then some.

Advantages:
1. It has the potential to be very accurate, displays are to two decimal places and kept internally to three places. It's not ECU scan rate dependent, but measures injector pulse widths within 10 microseconds in general.

2. It is very inexpensive. 1/4 the cost of a sg in kit form. 1/8 the cost if you build one from scratch.

3. the big numbers display is pretty popular (like in my avatar).

4. It sends distance/consumption data out the serial port for logging (i.e. on a laptop).

5. It's open source, so adventurous types can do things like add analog meters or make fancy cruise control circuits or get a head start on adapting it to other engine types (i.e. various diesels ).

6. it is %60 the size of an SG in its smallest form, which is handy if you put it in front of your instruments.

There's probably a couple other selling points. Some things to keep in mind are that it does have 4 wires you have to hook up. Battery positive, ground, vss signal, and injector signal. It should be about as hard to install as an aftermarket tachometer, whereas the SG plugs right into the obd port. Also the SG has access to basically all the engine sensors via the cars computer. The guino has distance and fuel consumption and various permutations (i.e. mpg , gph, etc).