View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #30 (permalink)
Tango Charlie
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
....I'd have better luck at an aircraft repair shop....
Funny, yes. But got me seriously thinking. It may be worth your while to seek out your local EAA chapter.(Use the 'Locate a Chapter' link in the bar on the right side of the page.)

EAA: Experimental Aircraft Association. These guys build small airplanes in their garages and hangars.

The chapter at my local airport have an informal burger cookout most Saturdays during the summer, and welcome anyone who may walk up. A good chapter would more than likely be very interested in your project, and be able to dispense a lot of advice on materials and repair techniques. They may have tools that would help in your repairs, as well.

This is not to say that you are not well able to repair your car yourself! I just thought these guys might be a valuable asset to you.

I also know of another chapter that consists of a bunch of old crotchety codgers that don't build anything and just have meetings about how their airport is going to hell in a handbag. If you run into one of those, keep looking. I would hope they're in the minority.

Last edited by Tango Charlie; 11-07-2008 at 08:11 AM..