View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
aspera
EcoModding Lurker

Why do you say for very light duty vehicles? Almost all of the examples I've been able to find were on race cars.

Good info on the legal problems with production cars heating the surface. There have been some tube-frame drag cars that piped the coolant through the tubing, but a radiator still seem to be better answer. Most cars and trucks stick with the traditional solution of mounting ONE radiator front and center. That works but it isn't the only solution. In my opinion it isn't the best solution either.

Since you guys brought up heating the surface of a car, I've always wondered why some of that waste heat from the radiator wasn't put to good use keeping ice from building up in my front wheel wells in winter. A couple of coolant lines routed inside the front part of the rocker panels or inside the fenders would make winter just a little bit nicer. It only needs to warm up to just over freezing, so lawyers wouldn't have anything to fuss over. Besides, the underside of the car is a hot place anyway. You can put hot bits anywhere you want under there.