View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
PonchoBuick
Eco-Noob

"da bus" - '94 Dodge Caravan base
90 day: 18.25 mpg (US)

"da Oldsmoblubble" - '83 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
90 day: 9.95 mpg (US)
Greetings from upstate NY!

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum, but I've been checking it out over the last few weeks and some of the stuff here has definitely caught my attention! Right now I mainly have an interest in trying to squeeze a bit more mpg from both of my current vehicles, but in the long run I may attempt to build a commuter EV (especially after realizing it can be done affordably in some cases!).

My current rides are:

'94 Dodge Caravan (Da Bus)
3.0 Mitsu V6 w/ 3 speed auto
Dynomax Super Turbo muffler added, otherwise stock
Best mpg: 17.8 suburban driving (out of town, no interstate)
23.7 highway (managed 25 behind moving truck)
Goal: 20 suburban / 25-27 highway

'81 Buick Century (no nickname as yet)
4.3 (265 cubic inch) Pontiac V8 w/ Metric 200 3 speed auto
Cat removed (old one clogged, have replacement, not installed yet)
Removed A/C system
Best mpg: 18.0 suburban driving
25.1 highway
Goal: 20 suburban / 28-30 highway

Plans for both include smoothing the bodylines where possible, including grill blockoffs, plus a little diet for both to see where some dead weight can be lost. I may experiment with WAI's as well on both, and I may run a fuel injector shut-off for the van to shut down 3 cylinders for highway usage.

As I said, eventually I'd like to build an EV for commuting to work. The Metro seems quite popular, but I might go a little different route. I think I'd like to try doing up an EV with the ancestor of the Metro, the old Chevy Sprint. If I can't swing that, perhaps something more interesting like an early Dodge Colt/Plymouth Champ. Time will tell (plus whatever I can find when the time comes!LOL).

Anyway, just wanted to say this is a great site with some great stuff! I hope to put all this info to good use and contribute when I can! See ya on the forum!

Cheers,
Aaron