View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 02:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Peakster
Master EcoModder

Red Jeep Patriot - '07 Jeep Patriot
90 day: 25.14 mpg (US)

Beige Ford Ranger - '95 Ford Ranger XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenKreton View Post
Mittens. They may not make you the coolest guy walking or riding the streets but they will do much more than gloves ever can. You may look into the lobster claw gloves where two fingers are kept together; they are supposed to be a good compromise although I have no experience with them.
I was thinking along the lines of getting those thin black gloves, like the kind that kids used to wear in school, and wearing them under a well insulated mitten. That way there's the benefit of keeping all the digits nice and toasty in the mitten while having the ability to use keys, etc. without getting too cold when the mitt is taken off.

Quote:
The ones where the finger part flips up are ok
Oh man, I've used those before and they were horrible! Wind kept on getting into the flaps which was real unpleasant.

Quote:
For anyone who rides a bicycle in the winter, is it honestly practical? Do you switch tires and other gear to deal with ice?
Personally I don't think riding a bike is practical in the snow at all. Some people in Winnipeg do it but I think the dangers outweigh the benefit of getting to a location faster than walking.

Keeping warm in even the coldest temperatures is totally possible. Recently, I took 5 blankets from the sculpture building to my dorm-room in real cold weather and the only way to carry them was to drape all of them on my body. I looked like one of those shepherds in biblical times. By the time I got to my building I was sweating!!! If only it was more practical.