View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #49 (permalink)
Tango Charlie
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Hokay. Time to dust off the thread.
The bullet-proof fog lamp covers are on hold for now. 'Cause I'm a slacker, OK?

I ordered a block heater from an online outfit (midwaypartsteam.com) and had to wait for it while it was back ordered. Grrr. I hate waiting. I'm way too American in that regard. But it finally showed up today as promised.

Not a shred of instructions came with it, but I ain't skeerd. I'm smart'n the average bear.

Hey! It's made in Canada! (Insert your own joke here)

The first thing is to try and find the hole it fits into. Not as easy as it sounds. I found this one, is that it? The one in the mirror? Huh? Huh?;

Nope. Try again, sucka. (And yes, I did clean my throttle body before reassembling...) Ooh ooh, how about one of these?

Nooooope. But we're getting closer! See it hiding in the shadows up there? Here, lemme point it out for ya;

Yeah, y'all are sitting back and enjoying the show, aren't ya? But I'm telling you, this is one of the more frustrating things I've done in a while. I missed half of Knight Rider because I couldn't find a stupid hole in my Vibe.
Since there were no instructions, I decided on my own to apply some antisieze to the heating element. I've used this stuff on aircraft and never had one fall out of the sky, so I figured it'd be safe for Olivia.

Let me tell ya. If you use this stuff, don't even try to be careful and neat with it. As soon as you open the lid, bam, it's all over your hands, shirt, and anywhere else you don't want it. So just go ahead and take the lid-mounted brush and smear it all over your face. Indian war paint style. Darn, forgot to get a picture of that step.

After a bit of a fuss and tussle, I got it slid in and the clip snapped over the edge of the hole. I was able to wiggle the camera down between the firewall and engine and snap a pic. So this is what you would see if you were a master cylinder and had eyes;

And plugged in;

Well, that's all the pictures I had the patience for. And interestingly enough, I'm getting tired of typing, too.
We'll see what happens in the morning.

Last edited by Tango Charlie; 11-16-2008 at 12:01 AM..