View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Car talk did a similar exercise. What results in less fuel consumption, upgrading your 100mpg car to 200mpg? Or, pumping up the tires on your SUV to get one more mpg ? If driven 15K miles each...
Which is a good example of a trick question, posed so that the answer you get is what the questioner wants to hear. Think outside that box, and you can get a much better answer.

1) I upgrade my 100 mpg hybrid to a new 200 mpg model, saving 75 gallons.

2) I sell my old one to the SUV owner to replace his FSP, saving 1003 gallons

Net savings 1078 gallons, plus

3) SUV gets hauled off to the recycler, saving the resources needed to produce several new 200 mpg hybrids :-)

Quote:
It would be great to get people out of those vehicles in the first place... but the mind is the hardest thing to change...
Not at all. How did the SUV fad get started? A loophole in the laws, plus a lot of advertising, no? Think about that, and just reverse the process. Of course you won't change ALL the minds right away, but remember that even at the height of the SUV craze, US automakers kept on losing market share to imports, many of which were small cars. The not-so-big any more 3 decided to throw that market share away, and depend on a niche market. Now that niche has become a whole lot smaller...