View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
NoCO2
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Hello everyone, new guy looking for ideas

Hello everyone,

I just joined the site this morning after I saw an article on Digg about one of your younger members who created the electric truck (very impressive btw). I am a college student at a technical institute near Atlanta, GA in the United States. I thankfully have a rather short commute to work, less then 5 miles, and with the high gas prices starting to creep into my area (we thankfully were one of the few states with still relatively low prices compared to the rest of the nation) I need ways to increase the fuel efficiency of my 1996 Toyota Camry. It is the 4 cylinder model, thankfully, as my last car was a gas guzzling V6 Honda Accord which got sub 20mpg. Right now I am able to average about 20-25mpg in the city and on the only long, highway, trip I have taken in this car I was able to get about 28mpg, however I was in a hurry so I was cruising at no less then 80 mph the entire trip.

I have commented in the aerodynamics section about some mods as my car has a few minor imperfections in it (it is my grandmother's old car and she was in a few fender benders) that have caused body panels to leave large gaps between each other from not fitting properly. I plan on using clear plastic tap to fix many of these as well as do some other minor modifications to the front of the car to hopefully make it a little more stream lined. I also am looking at making wheel covers for the rear wheels as I have heard that this does a good bit to the aerodynamics as well.

So that's a little about myself and what I plan to do while I'm here (at least in the immediate future). If someone could suggest other things I could do (nothing is really too radical for me to consider doing) I am more then open to suggestions.

Thanks everyone in advanced for your help, I know I'm going to enjoy myself here.