View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalanco View Post
As said, I don't really want to do an engine swap, 1: because I don't know how to do one in a van, and it's a lot of work to boot, and 2: I know my engine about as well as one can know it, and I've learned and adapted hypermiling based upon it's powerband and when it shifts. With a different engine, I'd have to re-learn things like shift points and the powerband again.

Besides, with the larger, more torquey engine I have, I can power up hills in 4th gear with some throttle balance. With a smaller, weaker one, I might have to downshift due to the lesser power(it makes 250 ft-lbs of torque at 2000 rpm)(it's the LE9 engine, if that makes any difference).
I can see not wanting to do the swap, though I think it would be easier in a van than cars, since you don't really have a whole lot of hood out in front of the engine.

But the 4.3L, when it's properly tuned can make 280-300, and comes stock at 260, with an almost flat torque curve from 2K. By comparison, the 4.6L stock has 280, and it's a thoroughly nasty little beast if you have no right foot control.

Smaller definitely does NOT equate to weaker here. My father used to own a 1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with the 307, and it could get run over by anything either I or my parents own now, all of which have smaller engines. And it only got better FE than one of those vehicles.