View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #205 (permalink)
solarguy
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm a hyperinflator.

I'm cheap. I've been frugal since I was 14. I discovered treadwear ratings on tires in about 1980, so I never bought inexpensive tires, but always bought the ones with the highest treadwear ratings. Those tend to be harder compound, and I wonder if that systematically reduces or increases hysteresis losses and/or RR.

Anyway, I have always been a big fan of running my tires at 3-5psi over sidewall. I have been doing it since at least 1977. I had a nice set of toyo radials on my gmc shortbed pickup truck that lasted for 70k miles and still looked pretty good when I sold it. I check the tire pressure 4 times per year and I run snow tires in the winter.

Yes, the ride is a little stiffer. No, I never experienced any unusual tread wear in the center, or anywhere else. Never had any unusual tire failures. I always got excellent tread life by doing this. This would include tires on the following vehicles:

82 GMC pickup
Pontiac Firefly, not sure the year, 4-door
Chrysler Sundance POS, worst car I ever owned, no problems with the tires though.
'99 Subaru Outback
'93 Ford F-250 4wd, gasser
'96 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel
'96 Toyota Corolla
'04 VW Jetta diesel

This is still not a very big sample size, and no real mileage data, but for anecdotal "evidence" it's not bad.

Please carry on.

troy

want to build 150 mpg diesel streamliner.
The Following User Says Thank You to solarguy For This Useful Post:
Galvatron1 (01-29-2020)