View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

I don't really have an answer, but I offer up a little "observational commentary";

I have this type of discussion with my girlfriend a couple times per month (she works in marketing and advertising, I work in science and technology). She's very smart and understands, but couldn't care less about Cd numbers. Hard for many to imagine, yet there it is.

My conclusion from my experiences and conversations is this; the general public does not posess what I call "the engineering mind". To an engineer, the example above seems like a marketing 'freebe'. "this one is slightly better than that one for the following reason". Engineering low hanging fruit, take credit where credit is due for god's sakes. To sales and marketing folks (the team responsible for turning harware into profit) this level of detail doesn't help sell cars to the 95 percentile target market, so they don't bother. Making things worse, the general public doesn't want to see engineering data that they might not understand. She calls it 'picking the fly $hit out of the pepper' that may be, but techno-geeks like myself, most others on this forum, want to undestand the nitty-gritty details, it's how we make sense of the world. As it turns out however, <a shocker> the general public doesn't see things that same way. that's my 2 cents