View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bullyveldt
EcoModding Lurker

Burban - '95 Chevrolet Suburban 2500
90 day: 12.81 mpg (US)

Swift - '98 Suzuki Swift
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
Lots of people say they get better mileage accelerating down a hill to get momentum for the upcoming hill, but I've tried it in my car and I always do better coasting down the hill and start accelerating right at the foot of the hill before I lose any speed and momentum.
I notice that exact same thing

Now I had a chance to see what drafting is all about the other day. Well yesterday. I was in the slow lane driving and a dump truck passed me but realized he would be losing speed for the upcoming hill and changed lanes in front of me. Well I was reading 10Hg on the flat part of the road and when he pulled in front of me, say 5 car lengths, the vacuum began to rise and sat at 15 Hg with the truck in front of me. I figured he was too far ahead to obtain a measurable difference from his wake but I did, so I moved a bit closer after the hill, which needed less throttle then usual with him in front of me, and the vacuum read 15-18Hg. His exit was approaching and he merged off the road and my vacuum then dropped to 10-12Hg almost imediatly after he merged and I had to tip the throttle a bit to maintain my speed, approx 85km/h.

Just another observation