View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Blackbird
EcoModding Lurker

New user intro and pick-up aero modding

Hello everyone!

I've recently been linked to view one of the forum members work on a civic and found this forum that way.

Let me just say that would have probably joined this forum a long time ago had I known it existed, I am definitely into some home brewed radical solutions to problems in order to maximize performance.
I have experimented with aero modding of a car quite a bit, only from a different angle, namely adding downforce to my old racecar.

But, as I see it, modifications done to the car to improve gas mileage isn't that far off from stuff I've been doing in the past and I am ready to tackle some aero work from that direction for change .

And without much more introduction let's go straight into the depth of the brick that I'll be driving soon.

I'm currently looking for a used Toyota T100 to replace my gas chugging GMC Sierra 5.3L V8.
I needed the GMC at the time for towing and work but the needs have changed and I'm now looking for a T100 4 cyl / 5 spd to replace it as I still need that size of PU for work.
Nice thing about the T100 4 cyl (aside of the legends about it living forever) is the relatively good gas mileage of 21 city /25 hwy or so, but, since we're here to discuss aero-modding than here are some of my thoughts -

* An aerodynamic shell, shaped like the back of my wife's 05 Prius.
* Moondiscs on the wheel, subject to verification of sufficient cooling for the brakes.
* Streamlined wheel well at the rear with the aid of a cover, attached with recessed bolts or nuts (whatever will be easier to fabricate).
* Partial smooth bottom and/or front air dam.

Comments, questions or any other piece of info will be appreciated!

Moti

BTW, before someone asks -
Yes, I have searched the forum and yes, I just saw the aerodynamic Toyota T100 that was already built... funny how someone had the same exact ideas and applied them to the same exact truck.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AeroT100.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	254