View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tony Raine
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
well, you've got a friend here! i love to explorer the outdoors. i may use gas when i do it (truck or ATV), but i also enjoy hiking, canoeing, and mountain biking. but i know what you mean. irresponsible 'wheelers always grab the spotlight, even though they are the minority. makes the responsible majority (like us) look bad, no matter how hard we try.

My intro shows my Bronco II project (which includes quite a few explorer parts). my buddies all say to swap in a v-8, but the little 171 ci v-6 has enough power to get where i want to go. i'm actually "downgrading" it from its former glory to be more fuel efficient and drivable on the street.

love the ranger, and love the idea of an explorer project. check out BroncoII.org. we have lots of info for rangers, explorers and bronco 2's. a rebuild isn't your only option for that transmission. an upgrade may be more beneficial in the long run. and a small lift and a sawzall will get 35's under it.

i say build up the explorer, the real frame is stronger (of course, i'm a little bias). but if you 'wheel with a lot of jeeps, parts for the grand will be easier/cheaper to come by.

since we are on the subject of mini bikes, this is what i'm trying to convince my father-in-law to give me

i love mini trail bikes. easy to transport, go anywhere, and cheaper (on gas and other prices). going slow is just fine with me. being in a hurry just makes the fun end faster.