View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
MazdaMatt
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
I said the union, not the workers. When i applied to work at a Sterling truck plant the STARTING UNTRAINED wages were $28/hr. Now that I'm an educated engineer, i will have to work for a few years before I make that kind of money. Shame i didn't drop out of school in grade nine and go make 28/hr... i'd be making 40/hr by now... sticking EPA stickers on a window (seriously, i saw a news article about a guy complaining that he is losing his job and he was paid 45/hr to stick EPA stickers (which already had tape on them) to the windows.)

BOO HOO FOR THEM. Let them try to get such cooshie (and well benefitted, paid and pensioned) jobs doing the exact same thing in another industry. All the people working in the production floor at my job make under 14/hr, even those who have been there for 5-10 years... and yeah, they all own houses and raise families.

If these people were working in the auto industry for those wages, the auto industry would still be competitive AND they would have the liquidity to make capital changes to quickly meet the demands of the changing market. Yes, the car industry in N.A. is dieing because of the unreasonable compensation demanded by the auto workers union.