View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCO2 View Post
Also, it appears you have to be a wholesaler to get it right from wildernessenergy so I did a google search and found an online retailer. Is there any real advantage for the brushless versus brushed motors? I know that the brushes have to be replaced occasionally, but considering I know how to replace electric motor brushes from my experience with RC cars I can't justify the price difference unless there is a performance increase. The replacement brushes are only like $10.
If you shop around online you can find a deal. My understanding is that the brushed motor provides more torque and not as much speed but the range is reduced. But for a five mile commute it probably won't matter. Putting this setup on a road bike fork you need to be careful and not break the fork with the torque the motor provides. You also need 10 mm spacing on the fork and most newer bikes are 9mm. I only engage the motor once up to speed which also lengthen the usable distance.

When you look for these kits check the controller and batteries. Some come with a 36 amp controller and 12v 7amh batteries. Some kits have 50 amp and 12v 12amh batterries which means more speed and more range.