View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Oval_Overload
24.27 lbs per gallon Co2

Unicorn - '12 Nissan Versa 1.8S hatch
90 day: 31.9 mpg (US)
Here we go again... EOC & automatics

Ok, so we have already established that Engine Off Coasting in an automatic means that your transmission fluid pump isn't running, and therefore the tranny is oil-starved. That means if your running one of these lovely AX4S transmissions (Windstar, pre 2005 OHV Tauruii and Sables) like Sean and I, it will eat a clutch pack, implode, and create a black hole that swallows all known life in the universe.

Anywaaaaay...
People keep telling me Minnesota is flat. I fail to believe them. The hills in Stillwater are so ridiculous that we have staircases connecting neighborhoods, and I can coast halfway across town if the traffic is light.
A friend of mine lives at the top of a long (1.7 mile) hill, and I always use first gear compression braking on the way down. On my down today, I realized that in first gear with the throttle closed, the Torque Converter is still locked, the alternator is still running, the vacuum system is still pulling, and the transmission fluid pump still runs

So I killed the ignition. At the bottom of the hill I turned it back on, and everything functioned normally the whole time! The engine cranked over smoothly on the cars momentum, no problems whatsoever. I never had to use the brake or the throttle for those 1.7 miles.

Oh, and I didn't have to rev match because the car was in gear the whole time.

So is there anything I need to know before I go ahead and install a kill switch?

Quote:
Hehehe... If one of your facial lacerations leaves a small scar, you'll have a SCarlett.