View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
aussie_modder
EcoModding Lurker

Big_Bird - '79 Holden (GMH) Kingswood SL
90 day: 18.96 mpg (US)

Girl's Car - '05 Holden (GMH) Astra
Last 3: 40.33 mpg (US)
Progress Update

It seems like an eternity since i last posted. The arrival of my first born has certainly turned my world upside down........ not a lot of time available for modding the old car.

On a positive note, the arrival of spring has brought with it warmer weather. This has seen my fuel economy figures below 13L/100 become frequent rather than just a fluke; current average for the last few tanks has been 12.6 L/100 (nearly a 0.5 L/100 improvement)

This has got me thinking about what mechanical mods would give the greatest returns based on this observation
  • Electric Fan and Waterpump- a potential liberation of 5hp & better control of coolant temp (for faster warm ups & heat dissipation).
  • Upgrade of existing single barrel carb/manifold to a coolant-heated 2 barrel (using a Weber 34 ADM). Much like the after-coolers found on CAT haul trucks.
  • Also still toying with the idea of disconnecting the AC compressor

But alas, I must complete my aero mods first; front air dam, partial grill block, removal of mud flaps, fitment of aero hub caps (bare rims look terrible) & some rear wheel fenders if i have material leftover. Hypermiling has certainly yielded the greatest returns. Car-pooling is better though (i should get my car pooling buddy back after xmas, Yay!!)

A high energy ignition system (retro-fit from a 82 model) is certainly on the cards, but i'm unclear as to the impact it will have when 95% of my driving is in cruise mode at 100 km/hour. I've had an electronic ignition system (which uses the 'points' as a switch) on the car for many years, and i've only recently switched it back to standard operation (since the ignition kept cutting out on me..... works fine in regular mode.. dang technology) Through many highway tanks, i've also noticed that the difference in fuel use between 91 octane and 95 octane was negligible. Air temps and wind conditions (hint hint aerodynamic drag) seem to cause more variation.