Thread: My first P&G
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
My first P&G

During my years as a driver I've coasted down hills and coasted when I needed to gradually slow down, but only after slobbering over ecomodder.com did I understand Pulse & Glide. This weekend I borrowed my father-in-law's car to run some errands with my wife and I used that chance to try my luck with P&G.

We took a highway with a flat 5km stretch which is more or less straight. There was a crosswind, strong at times. The speed limit is 70 km/h (I try not to go over the limit more than 10 km/h and am regarded by Warsaw drivers as dangerously slow). I accelerated to 80 km/h and started coasting. When my speed fell to 70 I accelerated again to 80 and so on.

The car doesn't have anything like a Scangauge and Dad would probably like to keep it that way, so the only measure of efficiency I had was how far I coasted when slowing from 80 to 70 km/h. This distance was between 150 and 200 meters, the average around 180m. I don't know if that's good or bad, though I've read that some ecomodder members can coast for hundreds of meters. Once I tried to turn the engine off (but keep the other systems on), but my wife was not amused. I know the car can do better, but Dad isn't open to any kind of modding. Maybe when we get our own car in which I change few things and he sees that my FE is 20% better, then maybe he'll let me try a grill block, airdam or narrower tires on his car. But wheelskirts and mirror chopping will still be out of the question

Here's the car's specs: Peugeot 206 5-door, 1.4l 75hp, weight about 950kg plus 2 people, tires 175/65R14 (I say they're too wide - the Opel Corsa C is about the same size and has narrower 155/70R13's). The only eco thing I got away with is pumping up the tires - they are at 40 psi while the door sticker says 30-35.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread