View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
NoCO2
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
I know that I'm building one because for me, right now at least, my electricity bill is lower then my cars fuel bill, monthly. My electricity is included in the prices of the rent I pay for my apartment so it's essentially free. I know that it still produces pollution because of the required power plants, but by not using my car so much, I may be using less since in reality, the amount of power required by the power plant is so little in comparison to the amount they regularly pump out that really the environmental effects are actually really less then running the car as well.

The other upside is that I get outside, or rather, feel like I'm outside at least. I enjoy going outside, but I'm a tad lazy so riding my bike is more work then I really care to do, especially on hot summer days so this is a great alternative for me. Not to mention that I am an avid fan of solar power and I could technically combine this with all kinds of solar applications to minimize my dependency on power from any sort of commercial power plant.