View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
RH77 - you're exactly correct, except one thing. When you're coasting and the engine is turning, w/ the throttle off, it doesn't do damage to the transmission, other than normal wear. By turning off the engine, and leaving the transmission in gear, you've effectively done nothing but stop the fuel consumption...

Engine is still turning, although not providing torque, transmission is still engaged, and therefore, pump is still working. One could confirm this by installing a pressure gauge inline w/ the tranny cooler. (Just a thought)

Also, a trans temp gauge might be beneficial.

If you doubt that this will not harm a transmission (anyone), you should also consider that in an automatic, the most effective means of slowing down and maintaining speed is STILL downshifting.

The torque convertor and clutch packs will not engage fully until engine RPM is speed matched to the vehicle speed per the gear, therefore, it's just as "damaging" as it would be to your clutch while doing so in a manual.

Oval Overlord - Hug accepted (even if you're a dude... I'm comfortable) Although I will tell you that you should not just take my word for it. Ask a "professional"... and not just one. Never just take one person's word for ANYTHING without verifying it, especially when that person is a screenname on a website or forum. Google is still your friend.