View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 02:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn D. View Post
What many folks don't understand is that those "low" beams are actually low/high beams with dual filaments. Thus, while your "low" beam headlights were on with the highs, they were on high beam, not low beam. The headlights you installed and many new headlights only have a single filament per headlight.
I know this thread is old, but I'm sure since it's linked on the mods thread, people see it, and this quote, which is not wholly correct.

Dual filament bulbs turn off one filament in favor of the other, so only one at a time is on. If they were wired correctly, both could be used, but the heat would destroy them quickly. This is most common with sealed beam single-headlight (per side) designs.

Now, Look at EF/ED Honda Civics (These I know for sure). They're Two-bulb composites (per side).

When you turn the headlights to low beam, the low beams come on. When you turn the headlights to hi-beam, the lows stay on, and the highs come on. Thus, 4 headlight setup, all working at the same time. These bulbs are 9005/9006, by the way, so they're not dual filament bulbs.

While one could argue that this is inefficient, removing the wiring and such to stop this action, and make only the highs come on when the highs are on, and only have the lows on when it's the selection, would ultimately be a waste of time. The physical energy would be better spent utilizing some other method than attempting to gain .1 HP of efficiency loss.

Verdict: Wiring all four headlights to work at the same time in tandem while in hi-beam mode is safer due to added lighted area, and saying that it's a waste of efficiency is simply splitting hairs to find a reason to say someone else was wrong.

BTW, OP, nice job on the hood... looks spiffy as a clean unit. Don't forget to remove the motors and frames under those buckets... extra weight