View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Losing heat in the Matrix

Well, I have what I think is probably a water pump going bad. It just started this weekend when I was comming home from a trip to LaCrosse (across the state). The car ran great on the way out, but on the way home we didn't have any heat for the first few minutes of the ride despite the coolant temp being high enough to normally get good heat (130F+). It seemed as soon as we got on higher speed roads the problem aleviated itself. Again this morning it did the same thing. On the low speed roads we didn't have much heat, but once we hit the highway it warmed up more. As soon as we got back to low speed roads it cooled off again. The curious thing about it is, when I slowed back down I started watching the coolant temp and it actually went up. So, my guess is that the pump is going bad and the lower RPMs aren't flowing enough coolant to keep the heater core and engine cooled down. Any other thoughts?

I gotta say, if it is the water pump I'm a going to be disappointed with Toyota. My Tercel has over 200k on the clock and is still running the original pump, same with my wife's old Tercel with 180k+ miles. The Matrix only has just over 100k.