View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
whitevette
EcoModding Apprentice

Plug erosion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacker View Post
Yeah but it's going to be the "best" path. If the "preferred" anode experiences wear, there are three others waiting to take up the slack.

I think it's more of a durability thing. I don't know if the path of least resistance is necessarily the best path in terms of combustion.
IMHO, this spark plug "thing" is out-of-control !
For example, plug indexing. Lots of talk about the gaps facing where? And, how much gap? what shape the gap?
Then we have tip types, tip material? Tip shapes? Booster gaps? Resistor gaps? Plasma ? Extended tip? Surface gap? Wow!

Let's start with indexing ... as long as the gaps all point the same way, we're half-way home. But which way? There are as many answers as Carter has pills ( a matter of opinion ). Rather than discuss ( ad infinitum) thread starting points on the heads or plugs, or both - let's just make them all the same, following the directions. For those cars with manifold hassles, start with the worst case ( plug access ), letting this plug dictate which way the other plug gaps must point. THEN, we must power-time, to get the max from the engine. In the case of OBD-II ignition systems, this system will power-time for you...constantly! All driving conditions, all parameters.

I love plug indexing washers! Mr. Gasket Co. sells 'em...as do most car parts stores (NAPA). Just follow the directions...and don't worry about power-
timing ( unless you've got an earlier engine). Make all the gaps point the same way...and let power-timing wake up the engine. Power-timing is the secret behind most mods.

The other stuff? I'll do another post....

Last edited by whitevette; 11-18-2008 at 04:04 PM..