View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
McTimson -

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTimson View Post
The eleproducts timer only works if you already have a car with a block heater installed.

How does the heater blanket stick to the oil pan? Does it have to sit on top of it, or do you make your own mounting setup for it?
That's a good question. Here is one way, but I don't like it because I want to be able to remove it easily :

Pegasus - Self Bonding Silicone Tape, 1 inch x 36 ft roll

Quote:
Our silicone rubber tape bonds to itself without messy adhesive and without sticking to other materials. Recommended for wrapping over heater blankets as a means of protecting them and holding them tightly to the oil tank. Great for insulating odd-shaped electrical connections, including the back of your master battery switch. No adhesive means no residue when the tape is removed, so it could even be used to temporarily hold odd-shaped parts together during bonding operations.
In my addled brain I was imagining a setup where I could "push" the blanket onto the heater with some kind of support and jack mechanism. When I go to work, I just turn it off, undo the "jack", and pull it out from under the car.

But, my problem may be that because I haven't seen how it is used, it may not be easy to install as I imagine.

More hrmmmmmmmm ... It looks like it wouldn't work for where I would want to install it :

The exposed part of the oil pan does not have a 20" long flat section, which is what I think I would need. Sooooo, I think this would make more sense on a larger-displacement engine.

CarloSW2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belly_01.oil_pan.jpg
Views:	939
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2162  

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society